Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Re:Purslane-Very dense in spring but as they mature fewer plants but larger.I've never seen any shrivel. How?

I have a vegetable garden in southwestern Pennsylvania and in the spring many purslane plants (weeds) sprout. Upon sprouting they are very dense - about ten or more plants per square inch or so. If left undisturbed (unweeded) I notice that many purslane plants increase in size but the total number of plants per area decreases. As the summer passes the surviving plants have become quite large but less dense (number of plants per area). I've never seen any shriveled or dead plants but some must surely disappear or die. If I was set up for time lapse photography I suppose I could witness this phenomena. Can anyone explain this botanical principle or explain what happens?

Re:Purslane-Very dense in spring but as they mature fewer plants but larger.I've never seen any shrivel. How?
It's a favorite plant for many animals. I'd suspect the ones that disappear are being eaten.


No comments:

Post a Comment