Monday, May 24, 2010

Indonesian plant that curls when heat touches it? (My parents introduced it to me as Kumis Kucing) PLEASE HELP

When I was about 5- 6years old, I took a trip to Indonesia with my family... I believe we went to the mountains. I found these plants growing near a field of grass that, when I touch it, the two rows of tiny leaves would curl for minutes and then reopens... My father introduced it to me as Kumis Kucing (cat whiskers in Indonesian). I went to a botanical garden today with my class and found something similar, but it's not quite what I remembered... The name I saw on the plant was Mimosa, which is a Brazilian plant so I'm not sure about that, but the leaves DO curl when I touched it... But I researched it, and Google says that Kumis kucing is Java tea, which does not curl at all... I'm about 90% sure you won't know the answer, but thanks for the effort.





By the way, Mimosa's leaves look exactly like the plant I saw in Indonesia, but the flowers are different. Here's the link to it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimosa


Java tea is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthosiphon...

Indonesian plant that curls when heat touches it? (My parents introduced it to me as Kumis Kucing) PLEASE HELP
It is mimosa.





In Indonesia we call it "Putri Malu". Which roughly translates into Shy Princess.
Reply:I'm 100% sure that was mimosa pudica, and in indonesia they call it "puteri malu" or shy princess in english. I know it because i'm from indonesia. u can find it everywhere, not just on the mountain. not just it will curl, but it has many tiny spine, and very common in the equatorial country.


No comments:

Post a Comment